Mental Health Specialist III
Company: VNS Health
Posted on: November 15, 2023
OverviewProvides direct clinical services including assessment
and treatment planning, supportive counseling and supportive
therapy, advocacy and psychoeducation, and linkage to community
agencies and services, as required. Provides coordination of
services between the varying providers for clients/members with
complex psychiatric, substance use, and/or co-morbid medical
conditions. Ensures access and linkage to the full array of
necessary physical and behavioral health services and other
community-based services to address social determinants of health.
Works under general supervision.Responsibilities---
- Utilizes approved assessments to identify clients/members needs
and family needs; develops initial and ongoing clinical plan of
care. Updates plan at specified intervals, and as needed based on
changes in client/member condition or circumstances.
- Performs and maintains effective care management for assigned
caseload of clients/members. Leads the care coordination for
complex psychiatric clinical cases. Tracks and monitors progress;
maintains detailed, accurate and timely progress notes and other
- Provides supportive counseling and/or supportive therapy as
well as ongoing mental health services. Collaborates and refers to
appropriate agencies as required. Addresses any client/member
concerns to ensure satisfaction with overall services provided and
uses motivational interviewing techniques to foster behavioral
- Develops inventory of resources that meet the clients/members
needs as identified in the assessment.
- Provides linkage, coordination with, referral to and follow-up
with appropriate service providers and managed care plans.
Facilitates periodic case record reviews and case conferences with
all providers serving the clients/members.
- Provides information and assistance through advocacy and
education to clients/members and family on availability and
eligibility of entitlements and community services. Arranges
transportation and accompanies clients/members to appointments as
- Assists clients/members and/or families in the development of a
sustainable network of community-based supports, utilizing
identified strengths and tools designed to prevent future
participant crises and/or reduce the negative impact if a crisis
- Participates in initial and ongoing trainings as necessary to
maintain and enhance clinical and professional skills.
- Maintains updated case records in program EMR. Maintains case
records in accordance with program policies/procedures, VNS Health
standards and regulatory requirements.
- Participates and consults with team supervisor in case
conferences, staff meetings, utilization review and discharge
planning meetings to determine if client/member requires an
alternate level of care or is appropriate for discharge.
- Participates in 24/7 on-call coverage schedule and performs
on-call duties, as required.
- Acts as liaison with other community agencies.
- Provides short term counseling (coping skills, trauma informed,
decision making) and Risk Health Assessment/Safety Planning.
- Collects and reports data, as required while adhering to
- Leads and participates in "Network Meetings" with client,
client/ member's personal support network and other team members
using the Open Dialogue Model.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as
assigned. QualificationsLicenses and Certifications:Valid NYS ID or
NYS driver's license may be required as determined by operational
needs.License and current registration to practice as a Mental
Health Counselor, Family Therapist, Social Worker or related
license in New York State requiredEducation: Master's Degree in
Social Work, Psychology, Mental Health Counseling, Family Therapy
or related degree requiredWork Experience:Minimum of two years of
mental health work experience providing direct services to
clients/members with Serious Mental Illness (SMI), developmental
disabilities, substance use disorders and/or chronic medical
conditions requiredEffective oral/written/interpersonal
communication skills requiredBilingual skills may be required as
determined by operational needs.Basic computer skills required
Keywords: VNS Health, Mount Vernon , Mental Health Specialist III, Healthcare , Bronx, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!